Monday, July 5, 2010

Elegant Victorian Lady Parade Costume



Artists love creative variety. Here is an example of that. I made this Victorian-era dress in 1984 for the sesquicentennial parade in a nearby town. This year I wore it for another town's 150th annversary parade. My updated hat was fashioned with rosettes around the brim. The lacy parasol was a dollar-store umbrella covered with a stretchy, babydoll lingerie item from Goodwill. My purse, camouflage for a water bottle, was repurposed from a lace camisole top. The dress, of moire taffeta, was inspired by a Lenox figurine, titled, "Springtime Promenade." I used 2 historic dress patterns to make it: one had the bodice & sleeves I wanted; the other had the tiered hoop skirt. "Abe Lincoln" was a separate entry but we were placed together in the parade line-up, I suppose, because we represented a similar time-period. Temps were in the high 80s but the lively crowd made it worth the effort. We even made the evening news!